Fortunately, adding friends in in Minecraft is simple if you are familiar with Minecraft and playing the game on your PC or other versions on your phone or game console. Also, by adding friends, you can play with them, no matter what system you’re using.
People who want to add friends to Minecraft can do so with a little menu navigation. Not only will players enjoy this well-known game of building and exploring with friends on the same platform, cross-platform play allows miners and aspiring crafters to now collaborate with even more of their friends.
How to Add Friends in Minecraft? Step by Step Guide
There are many ways you can add/invite your friends to the game. This guide will walk you through method by method.
1. Invite friends across platforms
Players using the Bedrock Edition can also invite their cross-platform friends for shared gameplay. This option is not available in Java Edition, so players using Mac or Linux devices will not be able to invite cross-platform friends.
Bedrock version players can add players using their Microsoft account. Users who do not have a Microsoft account will need to create an account to play. The same goes for your Xbox account.
- After entering the pause menu, click the ‘Invite Friend’ tab on the right side of the screen.
- Once there, you will see friends available on your current platform.
- You can find cross-platform friends there.
- You can go to the search bar and enter your friend’s Microsoft account gamertag and send a friend request.
- Don’t forget to keep Shared Play enabled while creating a world and inviting friends to play with you.
After sending an invitation to your friend’s Microsoft account, you can start exploring your own world or shared space. Before you can create a world and invite friends, you must enable crossplay.
2. Host a private Minecraft server
Tips for adding friends to your personal Minecraft server. You can start the game by finding and connecting to the multiplayer server’s IP address. If you wish, you can connect to someone else’s server and log in to Minecraft, Multiplayer, and Add Server.
You can then join by entering the IP address of your friend’s server. Or do a Google search to find open online servers that accept players.
This guide contains simple steps to help you host a server for Minecraft: Java Edition. This guide consists of separate steps for Windows, Mac, and Linux users.
Minecraft: Bedrock Edition
Mineplex, InPvP, and Lifeboat are three server options available for Windows 10, mobile devices, and Xbox. This feature is not available on the console.
You can subscribe to one of these servers by selecting it in the Servers tab. Alternatively, add an external server by clicking Add Server and then adding server details.
Hosting a private server is a cumbersome process. It requires a high level of technical know-how and can cause huge damage to the device. Also, the game is not always live and other players are kicked out of the game as soon as you shut down the device. We recommend setting up a local server on your device only if you are technically sound.
3. Local Area Network (LAN)
You can use the LAN method when playing with gamers who share the same local area network (LAN).
- Select the host computer.
- Run the game Click Single Player you can create new world or open an existing one
- After connecting to the game, press the ESC key and Open to LAN.
- Choose the game mode and whether to allow cheat codes.
- Then click Start LAN World.
- After successful setup, you will see a message saying Local game is hosted.
Setting up LAN gaming options is easy, but not available when your friends don’t share the same network as you. If you want to add non-physically non-existent friends and want to play with them, you can use the other methods mentioned below.
4. Minecraft Realm
Minecraft’s parent company, Mojang, also hosts and maintains a server platform for Minecraft called Minecraft Realms.
To add friends to Minecraft using this method, at least one player must purchase a Realms subscription. You can buy a Share Play subscription starting at $7.99 per month. And there is room for up to 10 players.
Realms is a safe option as all players need manual approval to sign up, but they don’t allow mods or plugins. This greatly reduces the scope of gameplay improvements for players who don’t like vanilla Minecraft.
However, if you want to keep the basics, Realms is a good enough option. It’s a fun and safe way to play with friends in Minecraft, especially for kids.
- Open Minecraft/Minecraft Realms
- Click “Purchase Area” at the bottom. This will take you to the official Minecraft website where you can
- purchase a subscription.
- If a Realm is found, it will appear in the list with a green light indicating that the Realm is active.
- Click on it and start playing.
Realms only work by invitation. You must invite all your friends up to 10 to play together. To invite your friends to Realms, follow these steps:
- Go to Region Configuration option Players tab.
- Click the + icon and add the usernames of the players you want to invite.
The invited player will see the invitation as a pop-up where they can accept or decline the invitation. Also in the New Invitations section of the Realms page. Just click Play to sign up for Realm and start playing.
- Open Minecraft and go to the World tab.
- Log in to your Xbox Live account and click New to create a new realm.
- Go to the Region section and select the area.
- Pay your first month’s subscription and start playing.
Its time to add your friends through Realms:
- Click the pencil icon near the realm name Members.
- Click Share. An invitation link is returned that you can share with your friends.
- Friends can see the list in the Friends tab. When clicked, you will be prompted to sign in with your Xbox Live account. This will allow you to whitelist the user on Realm and join the game.
Split screen mode is available when playing on Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo Switch. This mod is not available in Minecraft: Java Edition and is a console-only feature. Split screen mode allows 4 players to play simultaneously on the same screen.
5. How to Add People to Minecraft Java?
Adding friends to Minecraft Java is not that simple. However, you can get some ideas by checking out the following methods.
1. With a few modifications, you can send friend requests to other players. 5zig and Sk1er mod core mods. They have nothing to offer other than text messages.
2. At least most of the well-known servers include a friend mechanism. It’s easier to communicate with each other and play together with these than modifications.
3. A modified Minecraft client allows you to add other players as friends badlion client or lunar client.
Unfortunately both parties have to install the software and that software is very pointless in my opinion.
6. How to invite people to your Minecraft world?
Create a free Microsoft account if you haven’t already. Xbox users automatically have an account. Crossplay requires a Microsoft account. An online subscription is also required if you are using a console such as Xbox Live or Nintendo Switch Online.
After creating a Microsoft account, launch “Minecraft” and select “Sign in with Microsoft Account”. Follow the on-screen instructions to sign in and link your Microsoft account to the game.
Choose an existing world or create a new one and then start the game. After loading into the world, open the in-game settings menu. Go to the far right then click Invite to Game. On the next screen, select Find Cross-Platform Friends.
Enter your friend’s Minecraft ID or gamertag and click Add Friend. If you have had a bad experience, you can also use this screen to block or report it. If you don’t like typing complex gamertags on your console controller, you can use the Xbox One app to add friends across platforms.
Check the checkbox next to the friend’s name and click Send 1 Invitation. All you have to do now is sit down and wait for your friend to accept the invitation. Then your friend will soon fall into the world of Minecraft. It appears under Online Friends when you are online.
Adding friends in Minecraft is simple, but it can be complicated because there are two versions of the game. If you want to add friends from different platforms, make sure they are all playing the same game.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between adding someone as a friend and adding someone to a favorite?
When deciding how to add someone as a contact in Minecraft, players must consider their relationship with that person. Adding someone as a friend allows players to send friend invitations, and if accepted, both players can send game invitations to each other.
Adding to Favorites differs in that, in addition to the above mentioned characteristics, people who have been bookmarked are displayed at the top of your friends list.